- Summer constellations are riding high in the sky – at 9pm look for the constellation of Cygnus, sometimes known as the Northern Cross, directly overhead. Scan the area with binoculars – it’s rich in the background stars of the Milky Way.
- This year’s remaining big meteor showers are the Orionids (21 October) and the best of the lot the wonderful Geminids (13 December).
- Plenty of astro events are listed on the calendar page and for night sky tours check out the podcast page – you are free to download.
- Click the blog thoughts tab above for advice on buying telescopes.
- Oh, and this is what the Milky Way looks like from the North York Moors. Picture Rob Ince.
Follow us on TwitterMy Tweets
- Kielder People's Star Camp 13/10/2017 – 14/10/2017 Kielder Campsite, Kielder, Hexham NE48 1EJ, UK A rare chance to join astronomers under the dark skies of Kielder. With talks, tuition and chance to use powerful telescopes this is the perfect way to experience our dark starry skies and even learn how to take pictures of the night sky. For more details contact Kielder Campsite via http://kieldercampsite.co.uk/ or ping an email…
- Kielder Forest Star Camp 18/10/2017 – 23/10/2017 Kielder Campsite, Kielder, Hexham NE48 1EJ, UK Five nights under some of the darkest skies in England. For booking information visit kielderforeststarcamp.org
- Uranus at its best 19/10/2017 its best The blue-green planet will be at its closest approach to Earth and its face will be fully illuminated by the Sun. It will be brighter than any other time of the year and will be visible all night long. This is the best time to view Uranus. But be warned! Due to its distance, it…
- Orionid meteor shower 21/10/2017 An excellent meteor shower produced by grains of dust from Comet Halley, The moon will set early in the evening leaving dark skies which is ideal. Best viewed from a dark location after midnight. Use your naked eye and look up.
- Beginners' Astronomy Workshop 10/11/2017 at 18:00 – 21:30 Education Barn - Chambers Farm Wood - LN8 5JR Market Rasen - United Kingdom For details, link here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/beginners-astronomy-workshop-tickets-36747233966
- Venus meets Jupiter 13/11/2017 The planets Venus and Jupiter will be visible in the eastern pre-dawn sky very close to each other. Venus will be the brighter of the two.
- Galloway Star Camp 15/11/2017 – 20/11/2017
- Leonids Meteor Shower 17/11/2017 – 18/11/2017 Once the year's best, these days the Leonids rate as an average meteor shower, producing up to 15 shooting stars per hour.. The spectacle is produced by dust grains left behind by comet Tempel-Tuttle being intercepted by the earth on its orbit around the sun and burning up in the atmosphere.. Peak rates are expected…
- Super Moon 03/12/2017 The full moon will be at its closest approach to the Earth of the year and may look slightly larger and brighter than usual.
- Redesdale Arms Stargazing Weekend 08/12/2017 – 09/12/2017 A stargazing weekend in the lead up to Christmas. Enjoy Christmas hospitality combined with colourful astronomy talks for novices and telescope observing guided by experts! We’ll also keep our eyes open for shooting stars from the Geminid Meteor shower. You will also learn about telescopes and binoculars, get some tips on taking pictures of the…