- The summer constellations are climbing ever higher in the sky – look for the very bright star of Vega overhead at midnight, followed by Cygnus – sometimes known as the Northern Cross. Scan the area with binoculars – it’s rich in the background stars of the Milky Way. True dark skies return in August.
- Watch our for Noctilucent Clouds from the end of May to early August. These are clouds that glow in the dark and are the highest that can form in the Earth’s atmosphere. Look north, wait until one hour after sunset or before sunrise and expect to see electric blue wisps. See podcasts for more information.
- June and early July is the best time to see Saturn. It’s low down in the south, but a small telescope will resolve the amazing rings. Check our the podcast page for a download on how to find it.
- This year’s big meteor showers are the Perseids (12 August), Orionids (21 October) and the best of the lot the wonderful Geminids (13 December).
- Plenty of astro events are listed on the calendar page and for night sky tours check out the podcast page – you are free to download.
- Click the blog thoughts tab above for advice on buying telescopes.
Follow us on TwitterMy Tweets
- Perseid meteor shower 12/08/2017 The Perseids is one of the best meteor showers of the year so expect to decent number of shooting stars. They can be seen from 17 July to 24 August but peak on this night.. The waning moon will block some fainter meteors. Use your naked eye and be patient.
- Redesdale Arms Stargazing Weekend 15/09/2017 – 16/09/2017 On a clear night the skies are stunning over Redesdale, with the Milky Way overhead, resembling a shimmering river of stars. Jpoin us for this great weekend to look for planets, galaxies, star clusters and nebulae with guidance from our astronomers. For bookings go to http://www.redesdale-arms.co.uk/the-area/stargazing-2017
- Kielder People's Star Camp 13/10/2017 – 14/10/2017 Kielder Campsite, Kielder, Hexham NE48 1EJ, UK A rare chance to join astronomers under the dark skies of Kielder. With talks, tuition and chance to use powerful telescopes this is the perfect way to experience our dark starry skies and even learn how to take pictures of the night sky. For more details contact Kielder Campsite via http://kieldercampsite.co.uk/ or ping an email…
- Kielder Forest Star Camp 18/10/2017 – 23/10/2017 Kielder Campsite, Kielder, Hexham NE48 1EJ, UK Five nights under some of the darkest skies in England. For booking information visit kielderforeststarcamp.org
- Orionid meteor shower 21/10/2017 An excellent meteor shower produced by grains of dust from Comet Halley, The moon will set early in the evening leaving dark skies which is ideal. Best viewed from a dark location after midnight. Use your naked eye and look up.
- Venus meets Jupiter 13/11/2017 The planets Venus and Jupiter will be visible in the eastern pre-dawn sky very close to each other. Venus will be the brighter of the two.
- Redesdale Arms Stargazing Weekend 08/12/2017 – 09/12/2017 A stargazing weekend in the lead up to Christmas. Enjoy Christmas hospitality combined with colourful astronomy talks for novices and telescope observing guided by experts! We’ll also keep our eyes open for shooting stars from the Geminid Meteor shower. You will also learn about telescopes and binoculars, get some tips on taking pictures of the…
- Geminds meteor shower 13/12/2017 The best meteor shower of the year, running between 7 and 17 December. It peaks this year on the night of the 13/14 . Despite a crescent moon the Geminids should put on a good show. Meteors will radiate from the constellation Gemini, but can appear anywhere in the sky. So relax, use your naked…
- Winter Solstice 21/12/2017
- Dark Sky Festival 10/02/2018 – 25/02/2018