- The Milky Way is directly overhead as night falls in early December.
- This year’s best meteor shower is the wonderful Geminids (13/14 December).
- Plenty of astro events are listed on the calendar page and for night sky tours check out the podcast page – you are free to download.
- Click the blog thoughts tab above for advice on buying telescopes.
- Andromeda Galaxy (below) rides high overhead in the evening – furthest object you can see with your naked eye and 2.5 million light years away. This picture was taken from Sutton Bank Dark Sky Discovery Site (North York Moors).
- The 3rd Dark Sky Festival takes place 9 to 25 February 2018 with scores of events. This year it’s bigger than ever with the Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors, South Downs and Northumberland national parks all taking part! www.darkskiesnationalparks.org.uk/
Follow us on TwitterMy Tweets
- Geminid Star Camp Northumberland 16/12/2017 – 17/12/2017 Bellingham Camping and Caravanning Club Site, Bellingham, Hexham NE48 2JY, UK Camp out under the dark skies of Northumberland and join experts with powerful telescopes to gaze at the sparkling winter sky and spot spectacular shooting stars caused by the amazing Geminid meteor shower. For bookings visit www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/northumberland/hexham/bellingham
- Winter Solstice 21/12/2017
- Beginners' Astronomy Workshop - Yorkshire Dales 27/01/2018 at 19:00 – 22:00 Village Hall - High Cam Road - DL8 3EL Bainbridge - United Kingdom For details, link here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/beginners-astronomy-workshop-yorkshire-dales-tickets-37607615390
- Dark Sky Festival 10/02/2018 – 25/02/2018
- Kielder Spring Star Camp 14/03/2018 – 19/03/2018